Often in local interviews I’m asked about Extreme Couponing and the most common question is…can we really get those kinds of deals in South Dakota?
In short, my answer is no.
Now before you get all defensive on me you should know my reasons behind my answer.
1. Extreme Couponing is reality tv. When have you ever known reality tv to be actual reality? It may resemble reality but it’s not a spot on spot documentary.
2. We just don’t get those coupons here. Sure if you want to spend hundreds of dollars ordering high value coupons off the internet to make it look like you got a great deal on something, go for it.
3. We don’t have the same stores/sales and some of those shoppers. Luckily we do have stores like Safeway and Sunshine Foods that double coupons but only up to $1. Some other grocery stores around the country will double coupons up to $2 and even match competitors store coupons!
4. Our prices are higher here. This one is similar to the one above. Our grocery prices tend to be higher here than in other locations and our sales just aren’t quite as good.
5. Most people don’t have 40 hours a week to devote to couponing. Do you realize how much prep time was involved with those that planned the shopping trips they showcased? I know that most of us are full time or part time workers and/or full time parents and there is just no way!
Don’t be discouraged in your couponing journey because of this! I know that many many people have started couponing in order to save money off your monthly bills and that’s a good thing! We just have to remember the difference between reality and reality tv.
Interested in learning more about couponing? If we have enough people interested (or if you know of someone that would like to sponsor) we can have another class in the Black Hills! (Or depending on where you live we may be able to work out a class we can travel to teach.
Disclaimer: This post may contain a link to an affiliate. See my disclosure policy for more information.